Preconception Care & Optimising Fertility
The birth of a child is a time of great joy and one of life’s most profound experiences. This joy is increased when both mother and baby have come through a trouble free and healthy pregnancy, birth and infancy.
I have been professionally involved with mothers and babies for over 30 years and have been treating couples with fertility problems for the past 25 years. While I am increasingly concerned at the number of couples needing assistance, I have also had the incredible privilege of being able to help many couples in their quest for a healthy pregnancy and to share in their joy with the arrival of a healthy baby.
In the last 30 years there has been a worrying increase in reproductive health problems and infertility, with the incidence of infertility tripling. One couple in six is now considered to be infertile. Rates of miscarriage, prematurity and other health issues also appear to be on the rise. Nearly every aspect of your reproductive health has been found to be adversely affected in some way by 21st century living conditions, diet and lifestyle!
The good news is that the combined evidence of many eminent researchers has shown that conditions such as sub fertility, miscarriage, poor foetal health, breast-feeding difficulties, behaviour & learning problems, allergy and poor immunity are preventable and treatable with sound preconception health care programs combined with continued healthcare throughout pregnancy.
Isn’t it exciting to think that with just 16 weeks of solid preconception health care you can not only improve your own reproductive health but also that of your children and grandchildren! Working together we can have an influence on the health of future generations!
What is preconception care?
1. It is a program for BOTH prospective parents aimed at :
- increasing the likelihood of conception,
- improving your pregnancy outcomes and
- optimizing the health of your baby.
2. The focus is on restoring optimum health and, in the case of infertility, to address and remedy the causes of your problem rather than just override it.
3. The basis of preconception care is to ensure an adequate supply (through diet, lifestyle & supplementation) of all essential nutritional factors known to be vital for the health of your sperm and ova and for optimum development for your baby.
4. Through a preconception health care program you reduce exposure (through lifestyle & environmental changes, & detoxification) to those factors known to compromise your health in general and are harmful to sperm, ova and your baby’s development.
5. Optimum preconception health care begins at least four months prior to your intended conception to ensure the health of your sperm and ova. Sperm & ova take 100 -116 days to generate and mature.
6. This is achieved through the use of :
- natural medicines such as nutritional supplements and individualized herbal formulations,
- education regarding dietary and lifestyle changes, detoxification, stress management
- cycle charting (for hormonal & nutritional status) and timing techniques
- testing to diagnose for heavy metal toxicity and nutritional deficiencies
- preconception medical screening for infection or other problems carried out by your doctor
Who should use preconception care programs?
- Anyone considering a pregnancy.
- Those couples experiencing difficulties with fertility.
- Those couples using assisted reproductive technology e.g. IVF etc – recent studies have shown that preconception health care will more than double chances of success.
- Those with family histories of allergy or other health issues.
- Those couples who are not infertile but would like to improve general health, have a trouble free pregnancy, delivery and breastfeeding experience and to give their child the healthiest start to life.
The health of your baby, his/her childhood and adulthood is dependent on the health of both you and your partner for the 4-6 months prior to conception. The ‘blue print’ for your child is set at conception.
Preconception health care and conscious conception ensures the ideal environment for your baby at the time of conception. The foundations of most organs are laid down within the first hours and days after conception.
The chances of having a healthy conception, pregnancy, birth, and baby are at their best when both partners take part in the program, when both follow the diet and lifestyle protocols and when other general or reproductive health issues for both have been resolved to a sufficient degree.
For more information regarding preconception care see the latest study results and recommendations of the Foresight Association for the Promotion of Preconceptual Care.
Wondering whether a natural fertility program is for you?
Contact us on 07 3857 8515 or email us at info@naturalfertilitysupport.